I am so excited to introduce you to Riley! She is one of my dogs and the biggest love bug. She is a people lover and loves to comfort when she senses that you are sad. She also loves to come celebrate with you when you are laughing or happy! She loves tug of war, belly rubs, snuggling, giving kisses, and walks. So, why am I introducing her to you? Well, because she is going to start joining me in the office a few days a week, as she starts her process to become a Therapy dog.
I wanted to share a few benefits of Animal Assisted Therapy:
1. Research has shown that animals promote higher oxytocin (feel good, bonding hormone) levels and decreased cortisol (stress hormone) levels, which therefore also contributes to lower blood pressure and heart rate.
2. Many have a difficult time with mindfulness and feeling connected to their bodies, and Riley can help in this process of reconnecting to yourself as well as bringing you more into the moment.
3. Research has shown that in engaging with dogs through touch when in a hyper-aroused state (increased heart rate, short breaths, fight/flight/freeze), dogs can actually bring about calmness and connectedness - the brainwaves of the human and dog can actually mirror each other during this interaction.
4. Animal assisted therapy allows for a safe and healthy relationship.
5. The dog can be biofeedback for what is happening in the room.
6. Animals can improve motivation and engagement in therapy.
To view a great video that shows how dogs can be used in the therapeutic process, give this video a watch. Enjoy!
P.S. Riley can't wait to meet you. But if you don't have any interest in her being at your session, you don't have to have her there.