BENEFITS OF AAT (Animal assisted therapy)
1. Research has shown that animals promote higher oxytocin (feel good, bonding hormone) levels and decreased cortisol (stress hormone) levels, which therefore also contributes to lower blood pressure and heart rate.
2. Many have a difficult time with mindfulness and feeling connected to their bodies, and Riley can help in this process of reconnecting to yourself as well as bringing you more into the moment.
3. Research has shown that in engaging with dogs through touch when in a hyper-aroused state (increased heart rate, short breaths, fight/flight/freeze), dogs can actually bring about feelings of calm and connected - the brainwaves of the human and dog can actually mirror each other during this interaction.
4. Animal assisted therapy allows for a safe and healthy relationship.
5. Animals can improve motivation and engagement in therapy.